Born in 1979 – Bucharest, Romania.
Lives and works in Bucharest, Romania
“Monthly Evaluation Project”, installation, 2006
Venues: Faculty of Biology
A recurring element in the work of Ioana Nemes is the documenting, categorizing and analyzing of her daily activities.
Fascinated by the (im) possibility of capturing a person’s life in numbers, words, and colors, the artist turned directly to herself for an evaluation of her daily life, in an attempt to objectify and scale her perceptions and emotive responses.
To facilitate this (search for) objectivity she uses the standardized forms of PowerPoint diagrams. In a line-chart five variables (physical energy, emotional energy, intellect, income and luck level) are rated every day on a scale from -10 to 10, in a calendar diagram each day is given a color and a plus (+), a minus (-) or a equality sign (=).
Although it is of course a question whether objectivity is possible in such a self-reflective undertaking, the continuous scaling over a long period of time might bring about a development towards a certain degree of objectivity or rather preciseness in the comparative values attached to certain states of mind.
For Bucharest Biennale, she chose to wrap approximately 60 books placed in a window display situated in one of the hall of the Biology University of Bucharest, with colorful covers – a special selection of 60 days from her monthly evaluations time archive.
Slected Personal exhibitions
– “Temporary Studio: Monthly Evaluations”, Orizont gallery, Bucharest, Romania 2006
– “Monthly Evaluations / Me (October 2004)”, Ellen de Bruijne Projects, Amsterdam,
The Netherlands 2004
Recent group exhibitions
– “Hidden Rhtyhms” Kunstenaarsinitiatief Paraplufabriek, Nijmegen, The Netherlands 2005
– “FAMA FLUXUS MYTHOS BEUYS”, Kunst+Projekte, Sindelfingen, Germany 2005
-“Motion Parade” Fotogalerie Wien, Vienna, Austria 2005
-"ON DIFFERENCE#1, Local Contexts – Hybrid Spaces", W. Kunstvereins Stuttgart,Germany 2005
-„ Soleil Noir“, Salzburger Kunstverein, Salzburg, Austria 2006
– „Strategic Questions: Platform 06“, Kunsthalle Exnergasse,Vienna, Austria 2006
– „Focus Iasi“, Periferic Art Biennial, Iasi, Romania 2006